The Wye and Usk Foundation (WUF) are always looking for potential trustees to join our board. Trustees are expected to contribute with a range of skills, be committed to WUF’s objectives, and have an ability to work as part of a team.
The unpaid role of a trustee is to ensure that the Foundation acts in accordance with the Memorandum and Articles of Association and to manage its activities to further the objects in that Memorandum, which can be seen here.
More information on the role, duties and responsibilities of WUF trustees.
Skills and backgrounds of interest
A useful background for a trustee would include experience of some of the following:
- Experience of chairing boards of trustees or similar.
- Accountancy/business planning skills
- Land management, and agriculture
- Forestry practices
- Statutory, regulatory or other public bodies
- Other Wye and Usk conservation/angling/fisheries groups [with the proviso that a trustee must act not solely as a representative of another body but as a WUF trustee]
- Water company or statutory body experience
- Financial/investment skills
- Business administration including human resources/employment
- Legal skills (fisheries, charity and company law)
- Media/publicity/marketing skills
- Charitable trust or public-funding
- Public education
- Scientific skills
The Foundation is particularly, though not exclusively, interested in individuals with accounting skills. Some knowledge of the Wye and Usk catchments would be helpful.
The Wye and Usk Foundation works in line with the requirements and guidance of the Charity Commission.
The board meets three times a year and trustees are expected to be present. Meetings take place on weekdays, usually either Monday or Friday. In addition, trustees may informally take a watching brief of areas in which they have expertise.
How to apply
If you are interested in applying to become a trustee, please send a signed application comprising a CV, including the names of two referees, and brief explanation of your interest to the Nominations Committee by email.
Or by post to:
The Nominations Committee, The Wye and Usk Foundation, The Right Bank, The Square, Talgarth, Brecon, LD3 0BW